Sunday, 31 January 2010

Hutton Roof Crags



Yesterday (Saturday) I went for a walk at Hutton Roof Crags (SOTA G/LD-052). Parked at the south end of the crags, on the road between Burton and Hutton Roof (SD552761). I don't think I'd ever walked from that side before, other times I'd parked at Hutton Roof village and walked up the north east side of the hill, stopping at a part of the hill (SD561780) which was a few metres below the real summit (but still within the 25m SOTA activation zone).

I took the Watson W50 antenna for 2m/70cm and also the Wouxun 4 metre handheld. It was also a chance for me to try out my new Lithium Polymer battery on the FT-817. I'd fitted a fuse holder in line with the battery, one of those where you cut the wire and just snap the fuse holder closed with some pliers.

There wasn't much activity on 2 metres, even after a spot was put on Sotawatch. I made 3 QSOs on 70 MHz, using just the rubber duck on the handheld.

No comments: