Thursday, 8 April 2010

GD002 and GD001

Activated summits GD-002 Slieau Freoaghane and GD-001 Snaefell today.
GD-002 : 6 stations worked, 6 on 2m, 2 on 70cm and 2 on 4m. This hill
is behind higher ground to the east, with a few gaps through. Got
G6MZX/M near Skipton on all 3 bands. G6LKB and G4BLH needed SSB for a
proper QSO on 2m.
Vertical SSB might be useful on these more difficult summits as not
all chasers have anything decent for horizontal at home.

GD-001 : A mini pile up on 2m, with 21 QSOs all on FM. Moved onto 70cm
and made 10 QSOs.
On 4m I made 6 QSOs, including a summit to summit with MW0MYA/P on NW-007.
I'm writing this as an email on my Nokia E63, using the Google Mail
app. I've usually got internet access through the phone but here there
are roaming charges (£1.25 per MB!) so I'll send this when I find some
free WiFi.

1 comment:

Steve GW7AAV said...

Hi Simon,
I was working while you were in GD so no chance of getting you in the log. On the subject of vertical 2m SSB, I have problems with that as I use different radios for FM and SSB with the beam on the SSB rig and the collinear on the FM rig. If stations cannot be heard on FM then there is no advantage to SSB if I can't take advantage of the higher gain beam because they are vertically polarized.
Hope to speak to you on or from a summit soon.

73 Steve GW7AAV