Monday, 24 May 2010

6 metres

There were good 50 MHz conditions today, I worked 9A2PT (JN75JD) and E76C (JN84MX) on SSB using 50 watts to the loft antenna. These were the first long distance contacts I've made from this house on 6 metres. When I tried WSPR though I wasn't spotted by anyone but only 10 stations were listed as being active, and most of them couldn't receive each other.
28 MHz is also good at the moment, probably the best it's been for a long time.

Yesterday G7RNX and myself activated Seat Sandal (SOTA G/LD-022). Alex was on 70 MHz and I used 144 and 1297 MHz. Didn't hear any other SOTA activity in the Lake District but G1JTD and M3XJV were activating Wainwright summits just across the valley from us near Grasmere.
I tried putting a call out on 144.6125 using my Icom IC-E91 handheld (through the amp and dipole) using D-Star but got no replies, even after putting a spot on Sotawatch. Is there any simplex D-Star activity on 2 metres?
I had a look at the SOTA database and in the activator roll of honour, DV or D-Star isn't an option in the mode field. It would be either Data or Other. Out of all activators in England, since SOTA began, 7 have used Data and 9 have used Other.

No comments: