Saturday, 15 May 2010

Billinge Hill

Activated Billinge Hill (SOTA G/SP-017) today. I was just stopping on the way south so I didn't stay long, using the Alinco handheld with its own antenna.
Billinge Hill has a few radio masts on it so there is a problem with strong signals overloading but I managed a few contacts on 145 MHz and also 2 on 23cm (G7IEI in Westhoughton and MW1FGQ in Holywell). There is a stone building at the summit with a metal door which is some help in screening from the masts if you stand right next to it on the south side. I've been up there with an FT-817 before and that was OK.

Wythenshawe FM's link from studio to transmitter is on 52.750 MHz wide FM.

1 comment:

Steve GW7AAV said...

Hi Simon, would have loved to get you on 23cms today but I was QRZZZZZZ after a 12 hour night shift. I should have got you easily from G/SP-017 Billinge Hill. Good tip about where to operate from to avoid the interference, you should maybe put that as a tip on the Summits page. The TV up-link explains what I heard on 4m when I was up there.

73 Steve