Sunday, 13 June 2010

Calf Top

Today I walked up Calf Top (SOTA G/NP-022). I'd been meaning to go somewhere else but it started raining this morning so I went there instead. Walked from the Barbondale road (SD665840 at the boundary of the unfenced road) , up the very steep side of the hill. The rain got worse as I climbed up and at the top the rain was heavy with visibility of about 20 metres.
What I was going to use was my new Sharman's NR-770H mobile antenna taped to a fishing pole. This would have worked because it's a half wave on 2 metres. But I never put it up because the weather was so bad. Instead I just used the Alinco handheld (which is OK in the rain) with it's own rubber duck. With that I made 5 QSOs in about 5 minutes, including G1OPV/P on Ingleborough.
All 5 QSOs were with stations who had G1 callsigns. There was G1OPV and then the 4 local G1s who are quite likely to answer any CQ SOTA call on 145.500. These are:
G1OHH Sue
G1LAT Stephany
G1CCL Dave
G1KLZ Doug

Some Wprime 32M test results for various PCs:
Acer Aspire 3004WLMi laptop (Sempron 3100) = 104 seconds (XP)
Home built AMD Athlon 2400+ desktop = 93 seconds (XP)
Compaq CQ61 laptop (Celeron 900 2.2 GHz) = 83 seconds (Windows 7 64 bit)
The Compaq is the one that 3 supply with their mobile broadband package.
My own AMD Athlon X2 2.6 GHz desktop = 27.7 seconds (Windows 7 32 bit)
My own AMD Phenom 9550 2.2 GHz desktop = 18 seconds (Windows 7 32 bit)
All these are more powerful than one of the netbooks using the single core Atom CPU (about 140 seconds).
The Acer laptop is quite old (the Sempron 3100 was released in July 2005) but if it wasn't for its 448MB of RAM, wouldn't be that bad. The AMD 2400+ machine is from 2003 and could also do with more than its 512MB RAM.
The Compaq might have been a few seconds faster if an internet browser hadn't been left open while doing the test but it's not really that fast (a dual core processor would have cost how much more?).

No comments: