Monday, 28 June 2010

White Hill

Made my first D-Star simplex QSO yesterday, on 144.6125 from the summit of White Hill (SOTA G/SP-006). From there I made 3 D-Star contacts, so not quite enough to qualify the summit digitally but maybe next time. I was using the Icom IC-E91 handheld with UT-121 D-Star board, and a Watson dual band whip antenna.
D-Star QSOs were with:
G3LWK Harold, Banks (near Southport)
G0BMH Ian, Oswaldtwistle
2E0VEK Kevin, Nelson

On the Icom handheld, the digital voice was still OK when there were no s-meter bars showing.
I only have a handheld with D-Star so it's not much good on an outdoor antenna at home but another time I'll have a go from a hill top with some external antenna to try and get 4 digital QSOs.
I also made some 70cm FM contacts from White Hill using the same radio and was trying my Sandpiper 19 element 23cm yagi (with no success, the only thing I could hear was the Stoke repeater on 1297.075 which transmits constantly).

No comments: