Sunday, 29 June 2014

More Alinco DJ-G7 programming

After over 4 years, I've still not quite figured out the PC programming of my Alinco DJ-G7 handheld.
Usually the software refuses to do anything except display a "port error" message. But I'm not sure whether this is a 100% hardware fault as the error message is different when the radio is switched off.

At the moment I've got it working well enough to do a complete read. Here are some things I've worked out:
The baud rate of the COM port does NOT need changing to 57600.
My cable has 2.8V on the ring of the 2.5mm jack plug (it's not an original Alinco cable).
The cable can be connected before the radio is turned on.
Then the radio can be turned on before starting the software.
My programming software is V1.3.3 (the splash screen says 1.4).
I'm using the 32-bit version of Windows 8.
USB to serial driver is Prolific V3.2.0.0 (date 31/07/2007). Windows 8 tries to install a newer driver.
If the software says it is no longer responding when reading all memories (after about 23%), leave it to carry on, it takes a long time but will complete (after a Port Error!).
I'm not sure whether it works at all with 64-bit versions of Windows, I tried recently with Windows 8 64-bit and I couldn't get it to work at all.

Now to try and break it.

No comments: