Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Belkin Router

I use a Belkin F5D8636 N Wireless Modem Router for my internet at home.
This is what 144-146MHz is like with it on (antenna on the chimney, Belkin upstairs)

And this is what it is like with it switched off
The strongest of the carriers is at 144.710, reading 7 out of 10 signals bars on my FT-1500. There is one on 145.500 at 4 bars.
I think it's time to get something new for internet access, and if you see any of these for sale, avoid them. They don't handle large numbers of connections well either, default BitTorrent client settings bring all other traffic to a standstill.

Yesterday, for the first time ever in one of my PCs, I had a hard disk fail. Switched on, Windows error message
but Windows wasn't even booting from or installed on that drive. There was a spinning and then clicking sound repeating itself, so I was sure it wasn't just a missing file.
Anything important had been backed up automatically using CrashPlan, so it wasn't too bad.
The failed drive was a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, with a date of 2009. It wasn't new when I got it, it had been in USB case but had stopped working. It was a short circuit across the 12v supply, which was caused by the surge protection diode. After I cut that off the board, it worked OK for the last 2 years.

No comments: