Saturday, 21 February 2015

FT-7900

Got a brand new Yaesu FT-7900 this week, so I'm back to using a dual band radio at home, replacing the old FT-1500 single bander.

It's quite like my FT-8900 which I use in the car but a few differences:
1)The wide/narrow deviation setting only changes the deviation, not the receive filter.
2)The memory skip and bank settings are unique to each Hyper Memory (the memories themselves are common), so you can select a different set of memories to scan using the HM buttons.
3)The receiver covers 108 - 520MHz with no gaps. Even though sensitivity won't be as good outside the amateur bands, it doesn't drop off as suddenly as the FT-8900.
4)The S-meter is very sensitive on VHF, up to around S5. I get S4 of noise on 145MHz!
Because there is only a single receiver, there is a lot more room to put the controls, so the channel selector and buttons are twice the size of the other Yaesu mobiles.
I've tried uploading the memories to my PC using CHIRP and it works OK, except any airband frequencies are missed, CHIRP just says 'ERROR' for those channels.
I'd been deciding between the FT-7900 and one of the Wouxun quad band mobiles, but in the end I went for the Yaesu. With my FT-8900, I've never really used the 10m and 6m bands as I only have a dual bander on the car and when I used it at home it was with a 6m/2m/70cm antenna only. I can't even remember having a QSO on 6m or 10m with it in the last 10 years. The FT-8900 only receives 28-30MHz too, no transmit or receive on CB channels.

No comments: